New research from MobileVoice® by Tapjoy shows that despite not having access to the internet until their 20s or 30s, Generation X is just as active on mobile as the younger generations. Nearly 60% replace their smartphones every 2-3 and 66% actually spent more time on mobile devices in the last year, while mobile games are overwhelmingly the Gen X favoured activity That’s according to Tapjoy’s latest report: Modern Mobile Gamer™ 2021: Gen X Edition.
For the latest installment in Tapjoy’s Modern Mobile Gamer™ series, Tapjoy surveyed 1,850 Gen Xers in the United States. Key findings include:
– Though they’re not as concerned with company values as younger generations, Generation X deeply values work-life balance. Nearly three-quarters feel satisfied with their current employment status, and only 16% are unemployed (compared to 26% of Millennials).
– Gen X is more likely to use legacy services like cable television, but they’re also big fans of streaming content. In fact, 86% use streaming services like Netflix, and 76% watched more movies and TV during the 2020 pandemic.
– Mobile games are their favorite mobile activity, with social media a distant second. Nearly 70% say they play mobile games to unwind, and also favor mobile games that are intuitive and can be played in short sessions.
– More than half did more mobile shopping in 2020 and plan to continue. Advertisers should pay close attention to this demographic during the 2021 winter holidays, as 61% say they plan to spend more this year.
– Want to get Gen X to notice your mobile ad? Making it funny and succinct helps, but this demographic is most responsive to rewarded ads. Nearly 40% complete rewarded ad offers every day, with another 28% doing so 1-2 times a week. They’re most likely to purchase home goods and beauty products via rewarded ads, as well as download new apps and games.
Lauren Baca, Senior Director of Marketing at Tapjoy