Salesforce has released its consumer insights and predictions for the 2018 holiday shopping season noting that mobile will dominate the 2018 holiday season, with more orders and visits to ecommerce sites on phones than any other devices. It also forecasts that revenue will grow 13% over 2017, with AI-based product recommendations driving 35% of all revenue.
- Cyber Week will grab 40% of all online retail revenue globally with Black Friday capturing 10% of the season’s revenue.
- For the first time, shoppers will place more orders from their phones than computers or tablets. Mobile phones will account for 46% of all orders, edging out computers (44 %), and far outpacing tablets (9%)
- Mobile will deliver 68% of all ecommerce traffic this season, an all-time high, which reflects 19% year-over-year growth
- Instagram will emerge this year as the fastest growing social channel for referring digital traffic to retail sites growing 51% year-over-year, while Facebook will see a 7% decline.
- Revenue driven from AI-powered recommendations will grow by 25% and account for 35% of all revenue.
Rick Kenney, Head of Consumer Insights, Salesforce