A new study from text communications firm, SlickText, shows consumers want stronger communication from brands when it comes to shipping times— shipping updates now rank as their number one priority when shopping online.
The survey, Navigating Disruptions to Communication, examines aspects of branded communications during the pandemic.
What makes shoppers more likely to hit that unsubscribe button during the pandemic? Results say being contacted too frequently. What’s the top priority when it comes to communicating digitally in a world full of Zoom fatigue? Results say messages that are “quick to read.” Key takeaways from the survey of 1,100 consumers age 18 to 54+ include:
- Accurate shipping updates are the number one priority for online shoppers during COVID-19, with an easy checkout experience and receiving discounts coming in second and third
- Nearly half (49.5%) of respondents say free shipping has the greatest impact on their purchase decisions
- The number one reason consumers unsubscribed from branded communications during COVID-19 was being contacted too frequently
- The number one reason why consumers signed up for branded communications during COVID-19 was to receive discounts. Order updates and news of service disruptions came next
- Respondents ranked messages that are “quick to read” as their number one priority in digital communications
While businesses have no control over the ever-changing state of the world, we can control the ways we interact with our customers. We now have insights into what consumers want and need from retailers and what will drive them away in a COVID world. With consumers citing too frequent communication as the reason to unsubscribe, brands must find a desirable, direct way to communicate only the most relevant information or else risk losing them for good.
Meg Scales, CMO, SlickText