In-app shopping activity has risen to new heights amid the coronavirus pandemic in Europe, seeing a 35% rise in eCommerce app installs – 12% higher than 2019 Q4 holiday season activity. That’s according to AppsFlyer’s latest report The State of Shopping App Marketing, 2020 Edition, which indexes the trends across the globe that are shaping shopping patterns and behaviours as we enter the end-of-year Q4 holiday season.
For AppsFlyer the fact that buyers are seeking safer shopping options means that marketers need to meet consumers where they are to drive sales and mimic the in-person shopping experience as physical shoppers increasingly become digital shoppers. It’s also a fair indication that we can expect the 2020 holiday season to be one for the record books.
Notable UK and EMEA insights from the report include:
Pandemic-fuelled shopping app usage surpasses Q4 holiday rush
- In the UK, overall shopping app usage spiked to a reported 7.6% in May 2020 and increased to 8% in June 2020, overall surpassing the 7.1% of shopping app usage in November 2019.
- In Europe, overall shopping app usage spiked to 7% in May 2020 versus only reaching 6.7% at its peak in November 2019.
Demand for eCommerce apps surged in EMEA during COVID-19 lockdowns
- The UK saw a 156% surge in iOS non-organic app installs between February 2020 and May 2020; while Android grew by 142%.
- EMEA saw a 56% jump in non-organic app installs during the pandemic (between February and May 2020).
Spending spikes in the spring despite lockdown restrictions
- The UK saw a 166% increase in ad spend between March and June
- Consumer shopping spend in the UK surpassed Q4 retail rush across all shopping categories
The opportunity is tremendous for brands and marketers, with added pressure to not only provide access to eCommerce via shopping apps, but to also implement creativity, compassion and understanding throughout marketing efforts and UX. With this report, coupled with a recognition that a frictionless experience is essential as brick and mortar physical shoppers navigate a new-to-them mobile experience, marketers are now armed with the data and direction needed to create positive impact and ROI this holiday season.
Doug McMillen, Vice President, Enterprise Strategy, AppsFlyer