Fastest-growing app markets by region and industry
The Mobile Growth Map uses the Growth Score, a new metric developed by Adjust to chart the rise of apps in global markets which is calculated by dividing the total app installs per month by the number of monthly active users (MAU) for each vertical and country to reveal the rate of growth from installs relative to the MAU base.
- APAC leads the way with robust growth and is primed to rise.Vietnam, Thailand and Myanmar are three of the fastest-growing nations. LATAM comes in second place, with Brazil and Colombia rounding out the top five.
- Demand for gaming apps and e-commerce apps is strongest in LATAM.In fact, four of the top five fastest-growing countries for gaming apps are located in LATAM. Overall, games dominate the number of installs (33%), time users spend in apps (10%) and the amount of ad spend (74%).
- Significantly, LATAM also dominates the demand for e-commerce apps, with Mexico, Chile and Colombia enjoying the highest growth in this industry.
- Entertainment apps are quickly gaining traction. Vietnam, Russia and Thailand take the top three spots on the Growth Score, fueled by the demand for video streaming services, as industry giants such as Disney jockey for audience eyeballs.
- Utilities among the fast-growing verticals in Indonesia – a powerhouse market fueled by the popularity of video apps and streaming services.
The Retention Factor
In addition to the Growth Score, Adjust developed its own metric to measure the impact of retention, called the “Retention Factor”, calculated by dividing organic retention by paid retention, providing readers with the real divide between the two types of user.
With the highest retention of any vertical, gaming averages 34% on Day 1, and 15% on Day 7. However, games drop 19% of their total user base between Day 1 and Day 7 — the steepest decline of any vertical. While this drop appears to be dramatic, it may also be linked with the impact of hyper-casual games. This high-flying sub-category accounts for a significant share of downloads but so far fails to drive lasting loyalty among players. Interestingly, North American gamers retain best, showing the highest Day 1 retention of all countries surveyed.
Growing your app user base is a critical part of the growth equation, but in a market where most apps are history just 24 hours after the install, marketers need to focus more on engaging and retaining those users. To boost engagement, and extend the lifespan of the app, marketers must build data-driven capabilities to target users looking to churn and target them at critical points long before retention rates begin their inevitable decline.
Paul H. Müller, co-founder and CTO, Adjust