Despite strong results from location targeting advertising, nearly two-thirds of spend is still being wasted because of poor quality data and mis-targeted location impressions. That’s according to an analysis conducted by location intelligence company, Location Sciences.
The report studied 500 million digital location targeted impressions in the UK and US and found that:
- Of every $100K spent on targeted location advertising, $29K (£23.7K) was delivering impressions outside of the targeted area while up to $36K (29.4K) was being wasted due to location signals of quality insufficient to deliver the targeting requirements.
- On average 29% of impressions currently miss the target specified by the client.
- On average 36% of impressions were not of the quality needed to deliver to the specific targeting area required for location campaigns.
- 36% of the top GPS enabled apps were found to display location fraud.
- A 40% increase in location signal quality and a 10% increase in accuracy could be realised by enhancing transparency into data.
While some location data suppliers are doing an excellent job – in our analysis 40% of suppliers showed nearly 100% accuracy in location and 35% near 100% accuracy in signal quality – there is still a large percentage of suppliers who are significantly underperforming. For location to be used effectively in digital advertising, brands should ensure that they understand exactly what they have purchased and how this is being deployed. This will help to drive significant improvements in accuracy and campaign performance.
Mark Slade, CEO, Location Sciences