2018 is likely to go into the history books as the start of a major social changed powered by the rollout of 5G and the Internet of Things (IoT) according to the latest Ericsson Mobility Report. New capabilities and use cases are set to impact not only consumer services but also many industries embarking on their digital transformations.
- There will be 3.5 billion IoT cellular connections by 2023 driven by ongoing large-scale deployments in China.
- 5G commercial launches this year include North America which is seen leading the 5G uptake.
- By the end of 2023, close to 50% of all mobile subscriptions in North America are forecast to be 5G, followed by North East Asia at 34%, and Western Europe at 21%.
- 20% of global mobile data traffic will be on 5G networks in 2023.
- Mobile data traffic is estimated to surge by eight times during the forecast period to reach 107 exabytes (EB) per month – a figure that is equal to every mobile subscriber in the world streaming full HD video for 10 hours.
2018 is the year 5G networks go commercial as well as for large-scale deployments of cellular IoT. These technologies promise new capabilities that will impact people’s lives and transform industries. This change will only come about through the combined efforts of industry players and regulators aligning on spectrum, standards and technology.
Fredrik Jejdling, EVP and head of Business Area Networks, Ericsson