App Annie has published its Q2 App Economy Index. The numbers reveal the movers and shakers, key categories driving growth on the App Store and Google Play Store and more. In total 30.3 billion apps were downloaded globally and nearly $22.6 billion was spent (up 20% year-on-year).
Google Play Vs iOS in Q2 2019
- Google Play led iOS in global downloads by 185%.
- Non-gaming apps represented the majority of downloads across both stores.
- In Google Play, emerging markets continue to drive quarterly download growth.
- India, Brazil and Indonesia were the top 3 markets for both total downloads and year-over-year absolute growth in Q2 2019.
- On Google Play, the US, South Korea and Japan were the largest contributors to year-over-year growth in overall spend during the quarter, and the markets that saw the greatest year-over-year growth in market share were the US, Russia and Germany.
China, US and Japan Battle It Out in iOS
- On iOS, China, the US and Japan were the top three markets for total downloads and the US, Japan and Brazil were the top markets for year-over-year absolute download growth in the quarter as well as year-over-year growth in market share.
- The markets with the largest year-over-year growth in market share were the US, UK and Brazil.
Fastest Growing Categories by Download
- Google Play: Auto & Vehicles, Comics and Entertainment.
- iOS: Food & Drink, Education and Finance apps.
Fastest Growing Categories by Consumer Spend
- iOS: Photo and Video, Entertainment and Music – fuelled by in-app subscriptions.
- Google Play: Social, Productivity and Lifestyle.